Wednesday, October 6, 2021 / by Sonya Reiselt
It’s no secret that both Beaufort and Charleston, the two oldest towns in the state, have been known to be two of the most haunted cities in the country. And with this reputation has come a developing ghost tour scene that is truly unique and has become a can’t miss experience! While there are a plethora of tours between both Beaufort and Charleston, these are some of the most popular and well-known that are open for the 2021 season!
· Hours and dates vary, so make sure to reserve a timeslot online! Ticket prices are $20 per adult and $7 for children ages 6 – 12. All kids ages 5 and under are free.
· Join an expert guide through the oldest graveyard in Beaufort and learn all about the past residents who were buried alive, the history of who practiced voodoo in town, the notorious pirates, ghost trains, and more! You’ll also walk through bay street and past the local taverns where the pirates became infamous.
· There is also a “Late Night Spooks” version of the Ghost Tour for those who don’t want to do all of the walking! You’ll learn the same haunted and spooky tails by candlelight down by the river.
· Hours and dates vary and participants are encouraged to book their time slots ahead of time. Admission is $16.95 for adults and $9.95 for children ages 3 – 9. All kids ages 2 and under are free.
· The oldest, and arguably most well-known, ghost tour in Beaufort! This family-friendly tour will be led by your very own haunted tour guide who will take you through 300 years of haunted stories and history. You’ll learn all about the haunted houses, Civil War ghosts, ghost ships, various supernatural stories, and more unexplained history that is said to haunt Beaufort to this day! Cameras are encouraged, especially through the old burial grounds.
· A ghost tour that is truly unlike any other! You’ll venture through the USS Yorktown, a warship that held over 3,000 people while fighting during WWII. While aboard, you’ll learn about the people that lived on the ship as well as those who died and have been rumored to be haunting it ever since. The night tours also offer exclusive access to locations such as the flight deck!
· Open year-round, 7 days a week. Admission is $37 for adults and $27 for kids ages 4 – 12. Kids ages 3 and under are free.
· This 90-minuted walking tour is truly the first of its kind! While walking the historic grounds, you’ll hear stories of the murdered socialites, politicians gone mad, and other various scandalous tragedies of individuals buried within the cemetery, whose stories have never been told.
· Held year-round and holds up to 16 people per tour. Tickets are $45 per adult and $35 for children.
· The Haunted Carriage Tour is truly a staple in Charleston! Charleston has long been known to be one of the most haunted cities in America and this tour perfectly depicts the old-fashioned lifestyle that started it all. You’ll ride past the oldest and most haunted graveyards, alleyways, hotels, churches, a dungeon, and the historic Old Exchange, all while hearing tales of pirates, patriots, and ghosts alike that have long been rumored to haunt Charleston from its historic past to present times.
· These tours are each 90 minutes long and are held daily at 7:30 pm and 9:30 pm. Tickets are $28 per adult (when purchased online, the in-person cost is $30) and $15 per child.
· The Old Charleston Walking Tours have consistently been rated one of the best in the area for the last 20 years! Walk through the historic and most haunted parts of Charleston with Mike Brown, one of the most well-known tour guides in the nation, and get a true one-of-a-kind experience.
Whether you’re looking to stay close to home, or you’re willing to head to a new city for a different haunted experience, you can’t go wrong with any of the ghost tours in historic Beaufort or Charleston! They are truly an experience unique to the Lowcountry and just another reason why the area stands out among the rest.