Tuesday, November 24, 2020 / by Sonya Reiselt
How you can Give Back this Thanksgiving Season!
Thanksgiving is often regarded as the best holiday of the year and while this year is certainly different, it’s no less important! While it has been hard to come to terms with not being with the entire family this Thanksgiving, it’s more important than ever to think about those who have been impacted most by the hardships that this year has brought with it. If you find yourself looking for ways that you can give back, to your community this Thanksgiving season, look no further!
· Volunteer your time for someone who is considered high risk. Whether they need assistance grocery shopping, running an errand, or bring them some homemade holiday dessert. No good deed is too small! Consider helping those who have compromised immune systems, are considered elderly, families with a newborn, or someone you know who is pregnant.
· Drop off care packages to your community essential workers! Whether you choose to leave the package for your local hospital’s staff, a police station, or a fire station, your kindness will not go unnoticed! From bagels and doughnuts to coffee boxes, they are always working late hours and could use a pick-me-up.
o Make sure to call ahead beforehand to ensure they are accepting packages! If they aren’t accepting packages from local residents, consider having meals delivered!
· Don’t forget your delivery workers! Leave prepackaged snacks and water with a note for your favorite delivery worker – they are doing so much to ensure we can all shop safely from our homes! An added bonus – include a bottle of hand sanitizer!
· Donate blood – this is especially important if you’ve recently recovered from COVID because blood and plasma are a crucial tool in fighting the virus.
· Donate to your local shelters – Local homeless shelters, food banks and food pantries are in desperate need of donations this time of year, especially this year, anything helps! Canned foods and nonperishable foods are always needed, as are unused personal items and toiletries, clothing and baby necessities.
· Send your children’s teachers a care package – teachers are going through a very stressful and difficult time right now, too. Whether they’re teaching in the classroom, or virtually, everywhere they turn they are underappreciated and asked too much of. Reach out to them and let them know how much you appreciate them and how big of a difference they’re making in your child’s life. The appreciation could make their entire holiday season!
· Send snail mail – these days, getting something in the mail seems to matter more than it used to. Get out your Christmas card list and pick a couple of people to send a letter to that might be lonely this holiday or that you haven’t talked to in a while.
· Adopt a family or child – Does your church do an adopt a family program? With so many people still out of jobs and taking significant salary cuts, adopting a family for the holidays is the perfect way to get the whole family involved with giving back! If you aren’t sure where to start, ECCO is a great resource!
However you choose to celebrate and give back this year, we hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving! We are grateful for all of you!
Don’t forget to check out our website and like us on Facebook to stay up to date on all of your Beaufort home upkeep needs!