Wednesday, September 9, 2020 / by Sonya Reiselt
Make your Beaufort Move Successful by Incorporating these Tried and True Tips!
Let’s face it- no matter how prepared you are, or how much time you have, moving always seems stressful. While there are many things that need to be done before your move even begins, there are also tasks that have to be remembered even after all of the unpacking has come to an end. Here are some tips to help you prioritize and ensure your move is as seamless and stress-free as possible!
Stay organized and prepared
· Make detailed lists. Start making lists now! This will help you stayed organized and timely throughout the process. Pro-tip – don’t cross anything off of the list until the task is completely done.
· Do your research and hire a reputable moving company. There are plenty of wonderful movers in the Beaufort area that, come moving day, will make your move as stress-free as possible. If you’re still looking for a moving company, here are some of the most reputable in town:
All My Sons Moving and Storage
Carolina Moving & Storage Company
· Are you looking to make the move on your own? Reserve a U-Haul truck to reduce the number of times you’ll be going back and forth from your old home.
· Make sure you have an ample number of boxes before you begin packing everything up! This will ensure you’re able to stay organized and keep like-items in the same box. There are a number of ways you can obtain boxes: asking your family and friends, purchasing them, and collecting them from stores that give them away are great places to start. Don’t forget the tape and markers!
· Get rid of the clutter and anything not making the move first. If you’re currently in a home that is going to be/was on the market, chances are you have already started to declutter. This is a step that often gets forgotten until packing is already in progress, creating an extra headache that could have been avoided. Throw away the garbage and take the items to donate before the packing begins.
Miscellaneous tasks that should be done in advance
· Make sure you change your address through the post office. Do this right away and make sure it is scheduled to take effect on your closing day! You can choose to do this in person, if you prefer, otherwise it’s very easy to do online. You can change your address here.
· Transfer all of your utilities. Again, try and get this set up in advance and have the date of transfer correlate with your closing/moving date. You want to make sure you have electricity and water when moving in!
· Update your Drivers License. Again, this can be done in person, otherwise it’s very simple to do online.
· Notify medical offices and service lenders. Make sure everyone who needs your new address has it! Universities, banks, doctor’s offices, insurance, cable, etc. Cover all the bases. (If you’re getting new medical providers, make sure to have all records transferred!)
· Register to vote! Being an election year, this is especially important. Register in advance and make sure you know where your new polling place is. You can register to vote here.
Packing and the big move
· Think ahead about useful materials that can lend a helping hand while you pack. Skip packing items like bath and hand towels and use them instead to wrap up breakables.
· Don’t empty your dresser drawers! They stack well in moving trucks and will save you a little time when unpacking at the new house. Suitcases also make a great substitute for a moving box.
· If you don’t have wardrobe bags or boxes, garbage bags make a great substitute for clothes that you hang in your closet. Skip taking them off of the hanger and transport them, as is, in your car.
· Label EVERYTHING. This can’t be stressed enough. The more thorough you label your boxes, the easier it will be to unpack. This will be especially helpful if you have people helping you.
· Put your everyday essentials in a separate bag. Think of this as a carry-on. Make sure to include extra clothes, toiletries, and anything you might need for a day or two, in case your unpacking doesn’t get done all at once.
Accommodate your kids and pets
Moving with kids and pets make for an extra adventure. Make sure to take these things into consideration:
· Kids – Keep your routine as consistent as possible and pack snacks! If your kids are still young, have a designated helper around just to make sure they’re being watched and their needs are met. Better yet, see if they can spend the day at their best friend’s house!
· Pets – Best case scenario, allocate someone you trust to watch the pets for the day. And, before you move, bring them to the house so they can smell around and familiarize themselves with the home and the neighborhood. If you do have to take them with you on moving day, make sure to move them in the vehicle they’re most comfortable with. Finally, buy some new toys to mix with the old ones. This will bring them both comfort and excitement.
There you have it! Steps that will ensure you have a more successful move! Remember to make as many lists as possible and stay organized. Good luck, and enjoy your new home!
Remember to check our website frequently for more real estate tips and inspiration!!