Wednesday, May 26, 2021 / by Sonya Reiselt
While the weather has been indicating summer for quite some time, nothing marks the beginning of summer in the Lowcountry quite like Memorial Day Weekend. The Memorial Day Weekend has long been the perfect reason to get together with family and enjoy time well spent with another. And in the Lowcountry, this is certainly no exception. It’s also a time to reflect and remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice so we could safely, and freely, enjoy this beautiful place that we’re fortunate enough to call home. in fact, we often forget that this is the reason the holiday began in the first place. The day itself is meant for both reflection, as well as honor, and, in In the Lowcountry, there are many ways that we can do just that while also enjoying a long weekend with those we love most.
Here is a rundown of what’s happening this weekend in the Lowcountry:
The Lowcountry Oyster Trail – Hosted throughout the Lowcountry
· This two-day itinerary is perfect for anyone looking for a little adventure this weekend, as well as can’t-be-beat seafood! The trail will take you all over the Lowcountry area to enjoy the best oysters the area has to offer, paired with unique attractions right in our backyard. Plus, a portion of all of the oysters purchased throughout benefit local marine ecological research, analysis, and environmental stewardship!
Port Royal Freedom Fest – Port Royal
· Kickoff the long weekend tonight, the 26th, in Port Royal for Freedom Fest! Enjoy incredible food, drinks, and live comedy from five top comedians from all over the country. The best part? Proceeds benefit The Children of Fallen Soldiers Foundation! A perfect way to enjoy your weekend while giving back towards what Memorial Day is all about.
The Beaufort Inn Garden Party – Hosted by the Beaufort Inn in Historic Downtown Beaufort
· Sunday, May 30th from 6:00pm – 8:00pm. Tickets are $35 per person.
· Enjoy a beautiful night under the stars at the beautiful Beaufort Inn and indulge in a traditional Lowcountry Boil (prepared by Sea Eagle Market) while listening to live music by Chris Paul. Once the event is done, enjoy the rest of the evening downtown!
Beaufort Sailing Regatta – Hosted by the Beaufort Yacht and Sailing Club in Beaufort
· Taking place Sunday, May 30th and Monday, May 31st. In-person registration is from 11:00am – 1:00pm on the 30th and the racing begins at 2:00 pm. Anyone can register or spectate while at the Yacht Club! Prizes will be handed out at 5:00 pm on Monday and docking spaces are available first-come, first-serve.
Memorial Day Picnic – Hosted by the Beaufort Yacht and Sailing Club in Beaufort
· This event takes place on the afternoon of Memorial Day. Enjoy your day by the pool with your family! The bar at the yacht club will be open and there will be plenty of yard games set up. Families should plan on bringing their own picnic but are also free to use the grills on-site if you wish to prefer to prepare your meal while you’re there. The event is free and all families are welcome!
Memorial Day Golf Tournament – Hosted by Dolphin Head Golf Club in Hilton Head
· Monday (Memorial Day), May 31st from 9:00 – 1:30.
· The tournament begins with a 9:00 am shotgun and will be followed by a themed lunch inside the clubhouse afterward. Those interested should contact the golf shop directly to sign up! Is there a better way to spend your Memorial Day than by golfing?
Hilton Head Freedom 5K – Taking place at the Port Royal Plantation in Hilton Head
· Monday (Memorial Day), May 31st, from 8:00 – 12:00.
· Enjoy this festive run with a cause and get the family in the summer spirit! Dressing up in your patriotic best is highly encouraged (there will even be prizes!) and the course itself is one of the most scenic in all of the Lowcountry. All ages are invited to participate and a portion of the proceeds will benefit the Lowcountry Foundation for Wounded Military Heroes.
One of the undisputed benefits to a long weekend is being able to spend extra quality time with your family. So, even if you are planning to attend an event, or two, there is plenty of time to enjoy other activities! If you’re looking to take advantage of the beautiful Lowcountry weather, consider taking a trip to Hilton Head and enjoying one of its many renowned beaches. Visiting these beaches is the perfect opportunity to pack a picnic and enjoy the long weekend together as a family. You could also invite the extended family or your closest friends over for a good, old-fashioned, barbeque, allowing you to spend the night socializing, playing yard games, and giving the kids unlimited time to play outside.
However you choose to spend your Memorial Day weekend, enjoy! And, whatever activities might present themselves, let’s all remember what the weekend is all about: honoring those who made the ultimate sacrifice so we could enjoy the beauty that we’re fortunate to call home.