Wednesday, December 30, 2020 / by Sonya Reiselt
New Year's Resolutions for your Home & Family you can Stick to!
2021, here we come! Have you made a New Year’s resolution for yourself and your home yet? All too often, we find ourselves planning these grandeur goals for the year and they quickly become an afterthought in just a few months. 2020 showed all of us just how important having a solid and comfortable home is and New Years' is the perfect time to set goals to continue to improve your space for both function and comfort!
Little by little – go through all of your stuff.
· It should come as no surprise that decluttering is on just about everyone’s resolution list. While many aspire to rid their home of unnecessary and cluttered items, it often becomes too overwhelming of a task to complete. The secret? Take your time! Start in one room and, after you’re finished there, give yourself a little time before your start the next room.
· Once you’ve gone through everything, make piles of stuff that you can get rid of by donating and putting in the garbage.
Set up a maintainable cleaning schedule.
· This is so important; especially given all of the time we will be spending at home in the beginning of the new year. One significant reason why our homes get out of control is because we think we should clean the entire house all at once. Thankfully, this isn’t necessarily true!
· Start by making a list of daily tasks that are both necessary and maintainable for your family to accomplish.
o Making sure everything is put back in its place in each room.
o The kitchen counters are wiped down.
o Dirty clothes are put away in their respective hampers.
o All dishes are either cleaned or put away in the dishwasher.
o Beds are made before the day begins.
· Once you’ve gotten the hang of the daily checklist, make a weekly one. On this list, you’ll be able to focus on individual rooms each day.
o Only focus on one room at a time, this way you can shut the door and rid yourself of any distractions while you’re trying to get it done. Each day can be dedicated to a room until they’ve all been covered.
o Make sure tasks throughout the house have dedicated days, as well! Things such as vacuuming and dusting can be done all at once.
Plan for the year ahead.
· It happens to everyone! We get an idea of what needs to be done around our home and, just as quickly as we thought of it, we forget all about it until it’s too late or has become an inconvenience. Make a promise to yourself that this year will be different!
o Whether you use your phone or a personal journal, make sure to have something near throughout your day so you can quickly write down whatever tasks you think of that need to be accomplished. This could be anything from reminding yourself to wash all of your bedding next week to not wanting to remembering to put new lights around your patio in the spring. You’ll feel a lot more accomplished and organized once you have a system!
Make your home eco-friendlier.
· This current trend is both crucially important and here to stay! Is your home practicing eco-friendly habits? Whether you’re looking to make a big change or slowly switch things up, making 2021 the year to be environmentally conscience is easier than you might think!
· Does the thought of switching out products overwhelm you? That’s ok! Start small.
o Instead of getting rid of all of your paper towels, buy a bag of microfiber clothes and slowly introduce them to your daily routine instead.
o If you’re in the market for new appliances, make sure they are energy efficient (which most are these days!).
o Make sure to clean and upkeep your appliances on a regular basis. This can include your HVAC filters, washers, dryers, etc.
o Switch to sustainable food storage. Using reusable containers instead of paper plates and aluminum foil when storing your leftovers will go a long way both in terms of saving money and helping the environment. This is also true for sandwich bags! Consider investing in silicone storage bags instead of those that only serve a one-time use.
When all is said and done, it’s always important to remember that resolutions don’t have to be completed in the first couple of months! Make a list or a timeline and give yourself a break! You have 12 months to accomplish your goals! Happy New Year!
Make sure to keep up to day on our website, and follow us on Facebook for the best tips on making your house a home this year!