Wednesday, January 6, 2021 / by Sonya Reiselt
The new year has come and gone and it’s time to dive into 2021! Now that the holiday décor is coming down, are you finding yourself wanting a change around the house? While many trends from past years are widely believed to stay consistent, there are some fresh new trends on the horizon! So, if you are looking for a “fresh start” for your home interior, consider these trends:
· This is a trend that is expected to really take off this year. Presumably, due to spending a significant amount of time at home, homeowners are finding it easier and easier to maintain indoor plants and keep them alive longer than in the past. What makes this trend so wonderful is the wide range of options! Whether you want to stick to simple greenery, are looking for something with more color, or hoping to grow your own fresh herbs, adding a couple of plants to the house will both provide a new hobby and add a subtle sense of class to your décor.
Add Bright Color to your Neutrals
· Neutrals are here to stay but this year you can expect to also see a brighter accent color. Pantone has chosen its color(s) of the year: ultimate gray and illuminating. This year’s accent color, illuminating, is a brighter yellow that represents vivacity, clarity and hope. Brighter than past colors of the year, it’ll add the perfect splash of joy to any neutral pallet!
Add Seating Areas
· One trend that largely began in 2020 that isn’t expected to fade, if ever, is added living space. Families are appreciating quality time together more than ever while also realizing this can be done in many rooms of the house, not just the family room. It isn’t feasible for many homeowners to remodel in order to add more living space but luckily there are many, simpler alternatives! Putting a large island in the kitchen will allow the family to gather while meals are being prepared. Put a foldable game table in the office so the kids can spend time with you while on your lunch break when working from home. Or, switch out the traditional furniture for comfortable reading chairs in the living room so you can still be together, while also being comfortable, as a family, even if you are participating in different activities.
Hang More Family Photos
· Surround yourself with those you love most! Adding more family photos in your home will add a comfort you won’t believe! There’s simply no better way to make your house a home. Layering frames with various brass and wood tones, sizes, textures, and patterns will add an extra chic, yet classic, touch to your décor.
Luxury Outdoor Living
· While it isn’t necessarily interior design, focusing on making your yard as “livable” as possible is another trend that will outlast 2021 and is expected to endure many years to come. If this concept overwhelms you, start with something simple like your outdoor furniture. Ditch the plastic chairs and invest in weatherproof furniture that you can be proud of! If you’re really wanting to dive in, you can add comforting updates such as a new firepit, an outdoor kitchen, a pergola, or string lights throughout the patio and yard. Extending your aesthetic to the outside of your home will give your family a feeling of comfort, regardless of where they choose to spend their time!
Ultimately, what matters most about how you choose to decorate and style your home this year is that it brings comfort and joy that your family deserves! Styles and trends continue to follow a combination of classic, traditional and warm themes that will surely not go out of style anytime soon.