Wednesday, September 15, 2021 / by Sonya Reiselt
From idyllic temperatures to anticipated events, there are countless reasons get lost in the season that is Fall in the Lowcountry! Two of the favorite Fall festivals are coming up soon! After cancellations last year, everyone is excited to return to the fun and excitement these events have to offer!!
Port Royal’s Annual OktoPRfest – Saturday, September 25th from 11:00 – 5:00. The festival will take place in the heart of the Old Village in Port Royal on Paris Ave.
· Enjoy German inspired classics prepared fresh by local chefs, restaurants, and popular food trucks! Items such as brats, pretzels, and various festival favorites will be available all afternoon. And don’t forget about the beverages! Enjoy a variety of craft and domestic German-style beers, the true staple of any Oktoberfest!
· There will be live music throughout the day, starting with the popular band that specializes in lively, German-inspired drinking music, The Rhinelanders, performing 11:00 – 2:00. Then, from 2:30 – 5:00, The Dark Waters will put on a bluegrass show straight out of Nashville.
· There will be various other forms of entertainment such as a classic car display, a local artisan craft fair, and a family-fun zone!
27th Annual Beaufort Shrimp Festival – Friday, October 1st and Saturday, October 2nd. The entirety of the event will be taking place at Waterfront Park and Downtown Beaufort.
· The return of one of the most popular Fall festivals in the south is almost here! The Beaufort Shrimp Festival prides itself on serving the best fresh-caught shrimp, not only in the country, but in the world, and they just might not be wrong! Come and indulge in shrimp dishes you won’t find anywhere else, prepared by Beaufort’s renowned chefs and restaurants.
· Enjoy live music on the waterfront throughout the entirety of the festival. Music will range from rock bands in the afternoon, to jazz ensembles throughout the evening, perfectly playing to the ambiance of the waterfront!
· Make memories at the Run Forrest Run 5K! Join fellow festival goers on the morning of the 2nd at 8:00am to run (or walk!) a 5K along the street where Forrest Gump was filmed! The race will start on Bay at Newcastle Street and you can take your picture with Forrest Gump at both the starting and finish lines! Registration is $30 and closes at the end of September.
· Don’t miss the 13th annual Charity Shrimp Race, hosted by Beaufort’s Seal Island Rotary Club! Head to the waterfront at 2:00pm on the 2nd and watch the plastic shrimp race to the finish line! To participate in the event, register through the Rotary Club and see what numbered shrimp you’re assigned. Prizes for the top ten finishes will range from $100 to $2,000.
· Most importantly, enjoy the Beaufort community and embrace the local food scene by taking advantage of the specialty menus of this year’s participants!
o Tout Sweet Macarons
o Bruster’s Ice Cream
o Buss’ Creamery
o The Island Fudge Shop
o Marker 244
o Q on bay
o Sea Eagle Market
Fall festivals are a tradition in the Lowcountry and we can't wait to celebrate these favorites! Whether you're looking to experience something new or stick with your favorite tried and true, you simply can’t go wrong with the Beaufort Shrimp Festival or Port Royal’s annual OktoPRfest! After all, there’s no better way to celebrate a new season than getting together with your family, friends, and the community after a long, hot summer.